Thursday, April 13, 2006

How is it that we can hold sorrow and joy at the same time?

That question has been with me these days...as I listen to so many people through the day, which is my blessing and privilege, I note how each life is called to do this and how hard it can be. How do you experience this in your life? Do you think God made us this way...to hold both pain and joy at the same time within us? Do we hold them in the same place within or in different places within? Is our goal to "get rid of the pain" and just be joyful? Is that possible? Is that our life goal which brings that peace the world cannot give? What was Jesus' experience of this human phenomenon? Come on in, I love your conversations....God's Peace, your sister with heart:)

2 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I don't think that we are meant to be entirely joyous or entirely pained. When I think about how much joy I have in my life right now, it is also seasoned with sorrow, fear, misunderstanding, etc. We are always transitioning from emotion to emotion, moment to moment. Emotions are fluid. I think that we can minimize the fluxuations between our emotional states, but I think it is unrealistic to think that one emotion in particular can be eliminated.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Pia's Pals said...

I guess, I have never thought of sorrow and joy as an emotion, as you stated, Alyssa! Isn't that funny? I guess they are such a 'part of me', I almost feel they are organs in my body! :) I am going to have to think more about that one.

Elizabeth your journey and interchange between the two fascinate me! They are like one with two faces that compliment the other. Coming in and out of your life with great power and grace...even from the ages to address any unfinished business. I love it!!!

A dear friend of mine once noted this interplay of sorrow and joy as she gazed upon the face of the Blessed Mother in the Pieta. I looked and sure enough both 'emotions' are on her face. Holding the body of her Son...how could that be, only because she could hold death and resurrection a the same time, as one.

Maybe that is why I feel them to be such a part of my body, every sorrow I have transforms into a joy...like something clay, pliable, alive, moving, changing, re-arranging itself...death and resurrection living inside of me!

All are welcome to come in and share their thoughts on this! With Peace, your sister with heart:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home